Friday, March 16, 2012

Toothpaste Update

Just a little follow-up on our move to homemade toothpaste. . .

We are now on round two of homemade toothpaste, and it's working better for us this time. We liked the first stuff, but since coconut oil is solid at room temp., it was rather difficult to get on the brush, which resulted in us using it up rather quickly.

When I made the second batch, I added some vegetable glycerin, which softened it up and made it easier to use. As a bonus, glycerin can be used to treat gum disease because it kills the associated bacteria. A word of caution though, I have read that glycerin can form a film on teeth which hampers remineralization, and I haven't gotten to the bottom of the question of whether it's good or bad. The raw honey I used this time had not yet crystalized, so it mixed in better. And finally, I added peppermint essential oil instead of tea tree. We like it, but I'll add a few drops more next time. Overall, we have definitely been enjoying this batch.

Ethan likes it too. He's never tasted commercial toothpaste because before I made my own, we just used water.

 Ethan makes a cute little green caterpillar, no?

1 comment:

  1. You are so good to be proactive about such things. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are welcome here. :)