Thursday, March 15, 2012

Politics

Oi! Did I really just start a post entitled "Politics"? Yes, I really did. You see, we went to caucus tonight, and it's on my mind. Don't worry though, I'm not going to rant or rave.

Although I must say that as I study and learn about certain subjects, I can get pretty passionate. I usually reserve my outbursts of passion for my husband, though. ;) However, it is possible that I will at some point share some of my opinions on specific issues here. For tonight I'll keep it pretty broad.

I have long felt the importance of participating in my civic duties, but politics can be so darn daunting and confusing that I didn't really know how to dive in. I still often feel like a fish out of water, but I understand  more now. But the really exciting thing is that this year I see so much potential for positive change. In the past I have kind of felt like I have to choose the very most important thing to me and vote that way—you know, the whole lesser of two evils stance. But this year I have seen candidates that I agree with on the vast majority of issues, and that makes me really hopeful. I have gotten a little more involved with things, and I plan to continue to do so.

Tonight was my first caucus meeting. I'm told that there was a much better turnout this year, which is pretty cool. I think/hope that more people are paying attention to what's going on and want to do something about it. I know that's where I am. Maybe that's where you are too.

Here's to standing up for what you believe in.


*edit* I came across this verse in our scripture study tonight, and although I know in context it has a different meaning, as my eyes fell on it, it just seemed to go along with the things Terral and I have talked about regarding the political realm, so I wanted to record it here.
For the law made nothing perfect, 
but the bringing in of a better hope did;
 by the which we draw nigh unto God.
Hebrews 7:19

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcome here. :)