Friday, March 9, 2012

A Night at the Opera

Let's not dwell on the fact that most of my day was spent making a meal plan, making a grocery list, and then of course grocery shopping. Ugh. So not my favorite thing. Hopefully, once I get the hang of this software I'm trying out (that is offering free membership for life this month btw) and the whole meal planning thing, it will decrease my stress rather than increase it.

On a much happier note, Terral and I went on an actual out-of-the-house date tonight! We went to see some of my SUU friends in their opera production. They did two one-acts, and the house was packed—apparently there were a couple high school groups. They even had to bring an extra chair for me.

We both really enjoyed the first act, which was The Old Maid and the Thief. It was fun for me to finally see the whole thing, because I've heard arias and scenes from it ever since I was a freshman. They did a really good job with the singing and acting. 

The second act was not so enjoyable, however. I thought everyone did well with their characters, and it was fun to hear the vocal improvements some of them had made, but the opera itself was just awful. It's called The Proposal, and basically the whole things is a woman arguing with her alter egos about whether or not she should accept John's proposal of marriage. Kind of an interesting idea, but so not entertaining in practice. 

When we got out, we looked at the clock and realized it was later than we had anticipated, and we got a little worried that Ethan had been a handful for his grandparents. We found him happy and well, though, which was a very nice surprise! We were so glad they had fun while we were gone.

All in all, it was a very good evening. I will certainly not be sorry if I never see The Proposal again, but we still got enjoy each other's company. And I was very happy that the fist act was enjoyable for both of us. Believe it or not, not everyone enjoys opera the way I do. ;)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I believe it. :) I'm glad you guys had a fun night out.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are welcome here. :)