Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Freak Outs and Cookies

Today was a very windy day. I felt like the wind sucked away all my mind power and motivation. It was not my best mommy day. Add to that last night's beast of a post that just would. not. work. . . and I didn't get a whole lot done today. So forgive me if I don't bother with pictures today. (I did finally get the post done this afternoon, though.)

On Sunday, I signed up to bring a meal to a family that just added a little babe to their numbers. Yesterday, one of the compassionate service leaders called and asked if I could do it today, and she paired me up with another lady. Part of me was glad for the pairing because that should just make it easier, right? But another part of me was stressed out by it. I was kind of paralyzed by the teaming up, as odd as that might sound. I have this quirk about me that sometimes everyday things that most people just take in stride just kind of freak me out. The first times I went grocery shopping and bought gas by myself were really rather ridiculous, and yes, I felt like crying. If I'm being totally honest, I just may have actually done so. Phone calls are occasionally the same way, but that didn't start until my mission.

Well, this wasn't nearly that bad, but it still was difficult for me. I was supposed to call the other lady to coordinate. Somehow I felt like it would be so much easier if she called me. What difference that would make to the conversation, I don't know. It's not a logical thing. I know her, so that made the idea of it a little bit easier, but even so, there was this part in my chest that just felt stuck. I guess I felt like I had to have a plan in place, or something. I don't know. It seems like such a silly thing, but it was so hard for me to actually pick up the phone and call because I didn't know what to say.

Well, when I finally did, (at about 2, so only 3-4 hours before we were to have the dinner ready) it was just fine. No big deal. Of course. She dropped off her part at my house a little early since her daughter had a soccer game, and then I took it over to the family.

I ended up making a quinoa tabbouleh and oatmeal spice cookies. Quinoa and oats are both purported to help in breastmilk production. After I had Ethan, I just wanted to eat light meals for a while. That makes it easier when your body is done with the food, if you know what I mean. And snacks became kind of a necessity. You just need more calories when you are nursing. I found this recipe, and it quickly became a favorite at our house. Well, the cookies I made based on it did anyway. I tweaked the recipe, since I'm not a fan of some of the ingredients. Here's my version:


Ingredients

  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups rolled oats

Optional goodies:nutmeg, ginger, flax seeds, chia seeds, slivered almonds, any another nut

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Cream together the butter, brown sugar, white sugar, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. Mix in baking soda, spices, and salt. Slowly add flour. Stir in the oats and whatever "goodies" you have on hand. Make dough into one inch balls and place on ungreased cookie sheets.
  3. Bake 10 to 12 minutes until light and golden. Do not overbake. Let them cool for 2 minutes before removing from cookie sheets to cool completely. Store in airtight container. 

4 comments:

  1. I love tweaking a recipe! They sound super yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recipes are made to be tweaked, right? ;) Let me know if you try them!

      Delete
  2. They do sound yummy! I think we must be related ;o) because I have the some of the same issues! Little things that don't bother most people seriously stress me out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know whether to be comforted that I'm not the only one, or sorry that you have to deal with it too. Both, I guess!

      Delete

Your thoughts are welcome here. :)