Thursday, April 26, 2012

Spring Recital

Today was my studio's Spring Recital. Pretty much all of the day was spent preparing for the recital and teaching lessons. This was my first "solo" recital. When I started teaching voice lessons four years ago, I only had one student. My friend Kristin, who also teaches privately, let me piggyback on her recital so my student could perform. And it just sort of became a tradition that we combined for recitals. But alas, Kristin now lives in Arizona. And my studio has grown enough that it makes sense to do my own anyway.

This recital I had 5 violin students perform, and 1 voice student. I recently had 2 voice students sign up, so next time there should be a bit better balance. I also perform at the recitals (an idea I stole from Kristin) so that the parents get a chance to see my skill set (for lack of a better way to put it), and also so the kids can see that I'm willing to do what I ask them to do. Because I teach violin and voice, I switch instruments every recital. This time I sang "Lachen und Weinen". It's a lovely little Schubert song that works well with my voice.

I brought my camera, but it was all rather a whirlwind, with some students needing to leave quickly, and I didn't break it out until after most people had gone. I did get a picture of the two boys who started with me about three months ago. This was their very first recital, so it was kind of a big deal for them. I enjoy teaching all of my students, but these two are still very excited about learning something new that it makes it even more fun for me.


Ethan had fun at the recital. He thought it was so cool when all of us were tuning. But then he started getting into things he shouldn't while I was trying to make sure everything was in order, so I was very glad when one of the mothers arrived and immediately scooped him up. She kindly watched him for me until Terral came.

It was really cute to see all the other kids gathered around Ethan afterward. I tried to snap a picture of it, but they dispersed every time a grabbed the camera. One of the boys put his glasses on Ethan, and they were having fun with his reaction.

My banana oatmeal cookies were a success, and everyone seemed to enjoy the recital. Yay! And hooray for having one more thing crossed off the list. :)

2 comments:

Your thoughts are welcome here. :)