Monday, April 2, 2012

CC Salve

Yesterday Ethan developed quite the diaper rash, and it reminded me that I never posted about our Christmas gifts. I just reread that sentence and realized that may like quite a stretch, but hang with me for a moment and it will make sense.

One of the gifts I made Terral was a Calendula-Comfrey Salve. He liked it, but truth be told, he was more excited by the home made deodorant. ;) He has used it a few times since, but it turns out that little boys learning to walk, run, climb, and explore get quite a few more "owies" than their dads who teach and make sandals. So even though the salve is still Terral's, it kind of became Ethan's too. Especially once we found out how good it works on diaper rash.

When I was researching cloth diapers, most of the websites made it sound like diaper rash was practically nonexistent with cloth diaper users. Although it hasn't been a real frequent occurrence, Ethan has definitely not escaped this babyhood experience. But the care instructions for our diapers forbid the use of creams, so we had to find another way. We used cornstarch as a preventative measure when he was younger. When he did get a rash, we usually applied silver gel. That helped prevent the rash from getting worse, but it didn't speed up the healing process much.  The thing that seemed to aid healing the most was baking soda in his bath water. That usually cleared it up pretty well.

Some time after Christmas, Ethan got another rash and I tried the salve I had made. It cleared up so quickly! I was definitely impressed and vowed to make another bottle to keep in the nursery. Only I haven't done that yet, so we're still using Terral's. :) He's very generous with it. It helps that a little goes a long way.

Which brings me back to the beginning of this post. As I said, Ethan got a rash yesterday, and he somehow pooped in his diaper twice after that without us catching it quickly. The result was one sore little man. A baking soda bath and a couple salve applications later, and not a sign of red lingers.


It feels so good to know that I can make something like that to help my family. I'm continually amazed by the gifts God has given us, and the wisdom He used in making them.

PS The above recipe made enough to fill 2 baby food jars. I gave the other one to my dad. And just in case you were wondering, I took these pictures today, so you can kind of see how little we've used the past few months—in spite of frequent use.

8 comments:

  1. I'd love the recipe! That's great that it works so well and so quickly for your little one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Megs,
      Here's the link: http://www.healing-from-home-remedies.com/homemade-salve.html

      I hope you find it as helpful as I did!

      Delete
  2. I love salve too! My mom makes it alot but her recipe is for BF&C or healing salve. She has a double method that she does and I find hers is superior than others because of it and it makes more too(you'll have to ask her though because I don't remember :O).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Intriguing! I will definitely have to ask her!

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure how you feel about vaseline but George never had diaper rash at all because I put vaseline on his bum with each change. The poop didn't stick to his bum at all which made him easier to clean. It probably works the same as the salve so if you want to make it a lot you could apply it each time to avoid him getting the rash in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary your salve sounds like a good one. When Angi was about 8 years old she moved some old wood and got a ton of slivers in her hands. There were so many I didn't know how I would ever get them all out without causing her a lot of pain. This lady we were with said she had just the thing and she got out this home made salve she'd gotten from a friend and slathered it on her hands and we put some cotton gloves on her over night ... maybe it was socks we put on her ... and in the morning all of the slivers were out, even the deep ones. I've wished for some of that salve over the years but no one ever knows what it was. If you ever hear of it, let me now, will you? I'm wondering if it was that black root salve but that sounds a little too potent to be using on a child.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Sister makes her own comfrey salve I love it! She uses all kinds of fun herbs in it as well. It's fun, and empowering to make your own lotions and toothpastes, deodorants, and soaps. Not to mention super healthy.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the salve but like Mary said... I just don't need it as much as Ethan and I'm happy to share with him. I have sensitive underarms so I have to be careful what I put under there! The homemade deodorant works very well in case anyone is wondering :) I think it works better than commercial stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are welcome here. :)