Saturday, September 15, 2012

Windows and Roofs

A lot has happened in the past few days! We'll see how much of it I can get through tonight.

First off, here is the beast that we took down from our bedroom window. I can't tell you how happy it makes me to not have that hunk of metal in there anymore!
 And here you can see where it used to hang on the house.
The main thing that Dad did with Terral yesterday was replacing five of our windows. Four of them were broken, but the fifth was one we decided to do now so that all the windows in the "tower" would match and be functional, since you couldn't open any of them.

Here's dad working on the window in the storage room.
 And Ethan helping Terral in the guest bedroom.
 Both windows from the outside.
And the new ones put in and calked!
 Here's a close up of one of the tower windows. Because of this little damage, we got to buy the window at half off! We were going to put it up high, but dad got going and didn't notice which one he grabbed and it ended up on the bottom. Oh well! We'll sand it and maybe fill it in with something. It still looks so much better than the old one!
 Here's one of the cracked upper windows. It had a ton of dead bugs in it, and I was always worrying about the kids because it's a lower window and they could touch where the glass was broken.
 Besides the cracking, the old windows also had film and condensation on the inside.
 Dad trimming the space so the window will fit. (Incidentally, this window seems to be a favorite with kids because they feel like they're on the roof. :) )
  And here is the new lower window! It is such an improvement. We didn't really expect how good the white windows would look with the trim on our house.

 After the windows were all in, dad and Terral did some work on the garage before it got too dark. Here Terral is removing a strange cat walk thing made from crown molding. Bye bye!
 While he was doing that, dad was filling in some screw holes that got missed on the roof last time.
 I am so impressed that my dad can do moves like this at nearly 67!
 My honey getting some more edge screws.
 Then today, they put all the final touches on both of the roofs. (Well, almost all the final touches. Terral still needs to put tar under some of the old shingles so they will last longer.)


Doesn't that metal roof look so nice? They do great work! And even though my dad says he gets tired fast than he used to, I'm amazed at what he does. It makes me tired just to watch him. I tried to pitch in here and there where I could, but mostly I took care of my house duties and Ethan. I'm so grateful for all the work dad and Terral did! Dad has been so very generous to us. I'm so lucky to have him for a father. :)

4 comments:

  1. I love your dad! He really is so sweet. I amazed at what he can do too, same with my dad, I guess they got it from Grandpa he was always doing a lot :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have pretty great dads, don't we? I didn't really know that about grandpa, but I'm not surprised! He was pretty great too. :)

      Delete
  2. The windows do look great. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your improvements are looking so great! Your dad is awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are welcome here. :)