Sunday, August 19, 2012

Flooding

Well, I forgot to take some pictures of the current state of things, so I'm postponing the update again.

I mentioned that we had a very monsoon-like storm on Friday. Well, we are feeling very blessed with our home right now because some people had it very bad. We had a leaky roof (but no more!) and water in our garage. Other people had basements flooded nearly to the ceiling, sewers backed up, basements full of backed-up sewer, rivers running into their homes. . . I think some homes were pretty much ruined. I believe our ward had about 15 damaged homes, but we are in general on higher ground. I heard of another ward that had at least 40 homes damaged. So tomorrow there is going to be a stake wide family home evening. We are going to gather with gloves and tools and get to work. there has been a lot of service given already, but there is still a lot to do.

Our bishop spoke for a bit today, and he told us that this morning he saw on his desk the letter from Governor Herbert asking for everyone to pray for rain when we were having all the fires. He said, "If you're still praying for rain—please stop!" Of course, it made everyone chuckle. But really we do need to remember the power of prayer. And we need to remember to rely on the Lord. Fires, floods, and so many other circumstances today certainly seem to line up with the signs of the last days. And while I feel so badly for those who are going through difficulties, I'm not afraid the way I was when I was younger. I feel such comfort knowing that God is over all and He will help us through everything. I want to always have Him in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcome here. :)