Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Naked Foot 5k

I failed to mention one reason why I thought our Grand Canyon trip was so crazy. A week after our hike, we were registered to run a 5k. Now, a 5k might seem like small beans to some of y'all, but it was a longer distance than I had yet run in one go. And my "training" had been really spotty. And since I could barely walk after our hike, I was afraid there was no way I'd be able to even pretend to run the race.

Well, we drove home from Kanab Friday morning (the 19th), and we were both really sore, and Terral's knee in particular was bothering him. When we got home, he started applying essential oils to ease the inflammation. He used ginger and oregano. By the next day he was feeling so much better. I, on the other hand, was for some reason slow to use the oils and I was very much in pain still on Sunday. Singing Time was quite comical as I tried to walk in my heels. That afternoon, though, I started using Deep Blue and oregano and ginger, and I was soooo much better the next day. I managed to run one more time before the race, but I was pushing Ethan in his stroller (which is not meant for jogging) and it was windy, so I still didn't do the full distance. Well, Friday evening (the 25th) rolled around and we head up to Salt Lake to spend the night at my sister's house.

The next morning we headed to the race. Unshoes was sponsoring it, so we had to get there early to set up our booth. My mom came to support those of us running, and she also helped Sarah watch Ethan.

He had a lot of fun running around.
There was a free 1 mile race for the kids, and my nephews G and H ran in it. 

We were kind of disappointed by the size of the event. We thought it was going to be a lot bigger. But there was some confusion as to the location, so there may have been people that registered who couldn't find it. And the organization left something to be desired. Also, they didn't record our times! I couldn't even see the clock when I crossed the finish line, so I don't know what my time was. I really didn't care about my placement, but I was curious to know how well I did for myself. All I know is it was under 30 minutes.

In spite of all those drawbacks, though, we really enjoyed ourselves. The route was so pretty! I just kept a nice even pace, and I felt great. I was so pleased with the way I felt after it was over. I felt fantastic! And the hill towards the end didn't even phase me. I even felt like I could have run the whole course again. :) That was the best part of it all. And Terral said his favorite part was seeing me make such a strong finish with a smile on my face.

Here we are in front of our booth after the race.
And here I am with my mission bud Erika. She came with her husband to man the booth while we were running. She thought it was cool that I was on one of the banners, so we had to take a picture. :)
Kyle, Me, and Terral. We need to get Kyle in some Unshoes. ;)
Our awesome friends. :)
Ethan did some foot painting while we ran.
I couldn't pass up foot painting. How fun is that?
It was a do-it-yourself station, so I took the opportunity to do a little advertising. ;) Too bad I didn't do that before the run.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcome here. :)