Friday, January 20, 2012

Who Are You, and What Have You Done with Yourself?

That's the question I felt like asking myself a few times today.  It was kind of surreal.  I didn't get up particularly early, but by 2:30 I was pretty much done with all of my "have-to's" of the day.  Dishes done. Laundry caught up.  Bathroom clean.  Living room and bedrooms picked up. Weird.  So I cleaned some windows.  Then I took Ethan on a walk and dropped by a friend's house where we spent a couple hours just because we could.

When we got back, Ethan was acting ornery and tired, so I put him down for a late nap and started making toothpaste.  I've been wanting to try it for a while, and this was the perfect opportunity since our tube had just run out.

I combined elements from these two recipes and went for it. I used baking soda, coconut oil, tea tree oil, and raw honey.  The honey didn't mix in very well, which is maybe why the baking soda taste ended up being rather prominent.  I'll see if I can figure out how to fix that.  In the mean time it seems to work better than the commercial stuff, and I shouldn't have any problems with spoilage since I used honey as the sweetener.

Speaking of teeth, two more just popped out in Ethan's mouth.  That brings the total up to six—two on the bottom and four up top. Crazy kid just keeps growing!

2 comments:

  1. All I can think is that you have a seriously strong post-apocalyptic skill set... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Chrissy's comment :)
    Totally never even thought of making toothpaste - such a good idea! Even better - could you make a KIDS toothpaste?! That stuff is expensive (the quality kind), but you gotta make it taste good or brushing will be torture for them...

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are welcome here. :)