Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Unshoes

Well, school is out, and it feels great! At least, as much as it's sunk in so far. ; ) I'm trying to get our apartment in order so I can concentrate on other things. We have a lot of stuff. Isn't it crazy how it all adds up?

I'm still planning on doing my handmade stuff, but Terral has beaten me to it. He's just opened up a new Etsy shop called Unshoes. We're excited about it, and I hope you'll check it out.

He's been wanting to make sandals for a while now. Chacos were his sandal of choice, but he got frustrated with them because you're not really supposed to wear them in sandy places or they wear out fast. Well, avoiding sand is not really an option with us, and it's just impractical to re-thread them every time we take a trip. Besides that, Chacos are expensive, and they're kind of heavy. So Terral came up with Unshoes.

Here's the link: http://www.etsy.com/shop/unshoes

Have a fantabulous day!

9 comments:

  1. I have to give credit where it belongs. I just wanted a pair of sandals. Mary was the one who suggested I sell them. I didn't realize I married such an entrepreneur! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are pretty cool lookin' shoes!! And if I was an outdoorsy hiking kinda gal (Scott's not holding his breath too hard) I would get some!

    I do hike. You know that. Just not very often.

    But they look awesome!! You should contact Outdoor magazine or REI or something about them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And by shoes... I mean UNshoes. :) (COOL LOGO, bytheway, you must have an awesome graphic designer that came up with that.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't have to hike a lot or be "outdoorsy" to wear sandals you know... outdoor use was just what inspired me to make my own.

    BTW if these things start making money I'll have to set it up as a full blown business. I won't be able to manage it all by myself. I might have to hire someone to help me. Probably someone I know I get along with who appreciates outdoor life and has a degree in something like business management. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you hike, Kristin. And if I get my way, we'll be doing more of it this summer! I actually did think of you when I posted this, just because of those awful blisters you got when we went to Calf Creek!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I ask how you made them? They look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First I made a few prototypes out of some shelf covering foam that somebody left in our apartment. :) Once I figured out how I wanted to make them I ordered a sheet of Vibram rubber from ebay and bought some nylon climbing webbing. I traced my foot onto the rubber and then rounded out the shape a little bit. The hardest part was cutting the rubber. I just did it with a utility knife and scored it several times. From there it was just a matter of putting it all together with some sewing and epoxy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sheesh! You guys will never cease to amaze me with your entrepreneurship (eh?) and creativity.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are welcome here. :)