Friday, February 18, 2011

Blue Jeans

I started working on a pair of pants for Ethan two evenings ago.  Even though it really wasn't a very big project, between being busy with baby stuff and accidentally sewing the legs together as the crotch, it took me a few days to complete.  I'm rather pleased with the way they turned out, since I made my own pattern from an existing pair of pants.  I've never done anything like that before.

Ethan's new blue jeans were practice in preparation for making some pants for his blessing outfit.  I salvaged the material from some of Terral's old jeans, which I think adds all kinds of sentimental (and practical!) value. :D

I was definitely glad I decided to do a practice pair before I tackled the blessing pants, because I learned a few things.  Next time I will make them a little wider.  Even though these do fit him, they're a little difficult to get on because they don't stretch all that much.  Also, I learned that when you are adding extra length to the bottom, you probably shouldn't continue the taper.  Yeah, it sounds like common sense now.  Luckily, I didn't taper them too much, or I wouldn't have been able to make the cuff, which I think gives the pants a bit of character.
 The lovely afghan was made by Ethan's Great Grandma Henke.

3 comments:

  1. Very cool- I am impressed. You'll have your own etsy sight before we know what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look good Mary! He is getting so big!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are welcome here. :)