Thursday, June 3, 2010

Nine Weeks

We had our first appointment with our midwife yesterday.  I was really excited for this milestone.  We had a few questions for her, but nothing like our consultation.  Everything checked out fine.  She said my uterus is about the size of a small orange.  It's going to be bigger than a melon when we're done!  It's hard to see how I'm going to stretch that much, but I trust that Heavenly Father designed me well. :)

I found out that I gained five pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight.   I can expect to gain a little more than the average person because my BMI says I'm underweight.  I don't mind gaining more weight as long as it's good weight.  I'm trying to eat well in spite of the fact that eating is just not fun most of the time, and I have good intentions to exercise.  So far all I've done is walk and ride my new bike a bit, but we plan to go hiking and swimming quite a bit this summer.

I've only thrown up once so far, and it wasn't near as bad as I'd feared.  I don't even know how many years it was before that that I threw up last, but the memories are definitely fuzzy.  Anyway, I rode my bike to work and something wasn't right with the chain.  Add to that the cold wind and the motion, and it was just more than my queasy stomach could handle.  The bright side is that I started to feel better rather quickly.

We went down to St. George for the family adventure after lunch.  It was so nice to feel the sun and play in the water!  When we were done we went to Heather and Chris's for a barbecue.  One of their sisters-in-law made a spinach artichoke dip that was heavenly!  I actually enjoyed eating, and it was so great!

We're doing really well, and we're excited for the rest of this journey.  I feel so very blessed.  I keep trying to tell Terral how thankful I am for him, but I still don't think he really understands.  There are just so many things that could be different.  I feel blessed that all of our family members are supportive of our choice to give birth at home, even though they wouldn't choose to do it that way themselves.

People think that it's strange, radical, or hippy-ish to do a homebirth, but we just feel like it's right for us.  It makes sense on so many levels.  We've read all kinds of literature and we came to the decision together, and that's huge to me.  It would be so hard if I felt one way about it and Terral felt another, but we're totally a team on this, which is why I think it will work well.

Another blessing is that our midwife lives really close to the temple.  It's so nice to visit her and then visit the temple and feel the rightness of everything. Yesterday we did sealings.  I love to hear those promises again.

Next time we visit our midwife, we'll probably be able to hear the heartbeat!  I'll definitely keep you updated.

Til next time.

2 comments:

  1. The bike and ride and throwing up happened to me when i was prego with Broc!
    I didn't know you were thinking of a home birth!! I wanted to do that so bad but I was to afraid I'm glad you are going to do it, I've heard its wonderful!
    When we move I think we should get together sometime, maybe the St. George temple?
    I'm just so excited for you!
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, I'm glad you have found a midwife you like and feel connected to. It makes a big difference.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are welcome here. :)